Analytics has revolutionized the business world forming an integral part of every corporate framework. Analytics has bestowed the organizations with the economical storage, huge processing power, and extensive analytical tools facilitating organizations in data mining that extracts important solutions manipulating massive information. This area has paved ways for opportunities galore blending powerful IT tools and knowledge of business processes to develop professionals who have the interest to follow big data trend.
Charles Babbage, the pioneer in Mathematics and a great inventor once said, “Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all.” Hence, the dynamic business environment has identified the need for analytics and data mining and analysis has become a crucial area to focus on for the growth and success of an organization. Thus, it is imperative in understanding how the organization is performing in the market.
Essential skills to be an efficient analytics professional
The skills that will take you a step closer and make you eligible for the analytics job are broadly classified into seven categories. To achieve proficiency in the area of analytics you need to train and update yourself in the following skills:
- Analytical skills: The most important of all is the passion for data. This aligned to the relevant professional and personal experiences of data analysis give you an edge over the others. You need to have a strong command over the various statistical tools and its usage.
- Technical tools: You need to be a master in Excel and various other productivity tools. Additional technical knowledge of SQL, SAS, Python etc., is an advantage. Having a strong grip over Google Analytics is a must.
- Qualification: A relevant education like a Bachelor’s degree in statistics, quantitative analysis or data related technical field is a necessary.
- Expert in Problem Solving: You need to have the knowledge and experience of solving intricate problems in a creative way considering the changing business environment.
- Communication skills: Analytics professional need to have impeccable verbal and written communication skills.
- Functional experience: Professional experiences in market analysis, lead generation, media buying and other related functional areas is like a cherry on the cake.
- Industry expertise: Working in a data driven area or consulting up to a considerable amount of time will increase your chances of grabbing your dream job.
For a better understanding of the various skills that you need to acquire, scan few job descriptions and prepare a matrix of required skills to identify the gaps that you need to fill up.
So what are the ways you can acquire the above-mentioned skills?
- If you are thinking of starting it from the roots, then you can consider for a formal education in the field of computer programming, mathematics or statistics. It will help you to understand the different analytical and technical tools to build your proficiency in analytics.
- If you are already from the computer programming background then going for a certification course in statistics or problem solving might be of help. Nowadays, diploma and short course are available for analytics job as well to give you the abridged view inculcating all the necessary tools and techniques that will help you to advance in your career of analytics.
- If you already have a strong base of mathematics then you need to sharpen your skills in computer programming and data mining. There are plenty of courses short-term as well as long term are available that will help your mathematical skills to blend right with the technical knowledge making you an adept data analyst.
- You can develop yourself over the years through hands-on experience as well. If you are really passionate about this job, then through self-learning and on the job training, you can gather the industrial expertise to rise up the ladder. However, for this you have to work in a data- driven environment as already mentioned above.
You can gain the above mentioned skills from numerous diploma programs if you are not planning to pursue full-time. There are numerous courses available online that will help you to imbibe the analytics knowledge. Research accordingly before enrolling for a course of your choice. Thus, Analytics hastouched every crucial point of the business scenario. Developing oneself in this role is not a tough job. You need to put in your effort, imbibe the right skills and keep your passion alive to grab your dream job in analytics. This is one of the most promising and rewarding careers, if taken seriously.
Author’s Bio: Agniva Banerjee is a writer by profession. She likes curating informative articles and blogs on diverse areas that provides a good read. This article particularly speaks about benefits of the analytics and job alert services that have made job hunting easier. Hope this enlightens the job seeker and helps them to understand how to make use of the service effectively.
Connect to her on Twitter @Agniva_B